I am a PhD candidate at the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics. I am advised by Prof. Arratia (Penn Complex Fluids Lab). My research objective is to understand the dynamics of swimming microorganisms in flows. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2017.
- Transport and Dynamics of Swimming Microorganisms in Time-Periodic Flows: the main goal of this proposal is to understand the dynamics and behavior of motile (i.e. swimming) microorganisms in flows.
- Bachelor Degree, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2013-2017
- Master Degree, University of Pennsylvania, 2017-2018
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Pennsylvania, 2019-2023
Certifications and Awards
- MEAM MSE Merit Scholarship, 2018
- Outstanding Academic Award (Honorable Mention), 2019
- Q. Brosseau, R. Ran, I. Graham, D. J. Jerolmack, P. E. Arratia, “Flow and aerosol dispersion from wind musical instruments”, Phys. Fluids 34, (2022)
- R. Ran, Q. Brosseau, B. C. Blackwell, B. Qin, R. L. Winter, P. E. Arratia, "Bacteria hinder large-scale transport and enhance small-scale mixing in time-periodic flows", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 118, (2021)
- J. Li, R. Ran, H. Wang, Y. Wang, Y. Chen, S. Niu, P. E. Arratia, S. Yang, "Aerodynamics-assisted, efficient and scalable kirigami fog collectors", Nat. Commun. 12, (2021)
- B. Qin, R. Ran, P. F. Salipante, S. D. Hudson, P. E. Arratia, "Three-dimensional structures and symmetry breaking in viscoelastic cross-channel flow", Soft Matter 16, (2020)
- Transport and Dynamics of Swimming Microorganisms in Time-Periodic Flows, 72nd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, Seattle WA, (2019)
- Bacteria Hinder Large Scale Transport in 2D Time-Periodic Flows, 73rd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, Chicago IL (virtual), (2020)
- Bacteria Hinder Large-Scale Transport & Mixing in Time-Periodic Flows, 74th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, Phoenix AZ, (2021)
- Please contact me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org